A key member of the Legal and Risk Management function delivering high quality, practical legal advice and solutions to the InterGen business, operating business and to the Growth team.
Principal responsibilities are described below:
· Responsible for providing day-to-day legal and regulatory advice including identifying issues, advising accordingly (including sharing your own opinion) and supporting the business in its decision-making and reaching practical outcomes. To include:
o contract and regulatory interpretation
o dispute management
o legal problem solving
· Drafting and negotiation of documents (with external specialist support as appropriate), ensuring that they meet the needs of the business and that the legal risks are fully assessed and managed. To include:
o procurement, maintenance and construction contracts (including facilitating procurement self-service process)
o IT contracts
o confidentiality agreements
o technical and consulting service agreements
o documents to support intra-group activities and treasury function
o loan and financing agreements
o agreements for the sale or purchase of power, other commodities, and ancillary services (including industry forms such as EFETs and ISDAs)
· Working with project teams and senior management to deliver enterprise initiatives.
· Ensuring the Head of Legal (and the General Counsel where appropriate) is kept aware of material issues on a timely basis and agrees with the path taken as work progresses.
· Maintain a thorough understanding of InterGen’s business, its corporate structure and governance.
· Be familiar with the commercial and legal risks which exist in the business and the external market. Maintain a thorough understanding of InterGen’s risk appetite and risk management strategy and seek to ensure these are reflected in legal advice and support to business colleagues.
Legal Function Responsibilities
· Management of legal documentation
· Supporting the management of a limited suite of registered trade-marks (supported by external counsel)
· Managing external counsel where appointed, including agreeing engagement terms, scope of work, WIP management, settlement of invoices and obtaining best value and quality of advice from them
· Supporting and initiating continuous improvement in the delivery of legal support to the business
· Updating and managing the InterGen precedent bank, sharing best-practice and delivering legal training.
· Working with the Strategy and Growth Team to deliver development and M&A projects as required.
Corporate Secretarial Services (global/multi-jurisdictional)
· Supporting the provision of corporate secretarial services, including drafting board and shareholder resolutions and guiding other functions on requirements
· Company filings in relevant jurisdictions, working with external company secretarial providers
· Supporting the management, drafting and updating of LRM departmental policies and procedures
· Supporting the discharge of certain responsibilities under departmental policies and procedures, including in relation to delegations of authority and third party due diligence policies, and meeting KYC requirements
· Working alongside internal legal resource (Legal Counsel and Trainee), delegating and supervising appropriately.
Instructing, working alongside and challenging external counsel as required
Skills / Competencies
Key characteristics of the successful candidate will include:
· Ability to build relationships with internal stakeholders, and show leadership across functions to ensure appropriate and timely engagement of legal support
· Commitment to accountability, ownership and delivery
· Strong drafting, advisory and analytical skills, with attention to detail. Able to get to the heart of the matter but ensure that the details are covered off
· Requires minimal supervision and is able to make routine decisions with regard to legal risk in the context of an operating business
· Comfortable working in a lean structure that is highly customer focused and requires agility and prioritisation
· Ability to build relationships with external stakeholders
· Suited to an entrepreneurial, fast paced, value-driven corporate culture
· Highly professional with ethical and moral standards
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Demonstrates commercial acumen
Knowledge / Experience
· Understanding of UK electricity markets and regulatory regime desirable
· Understanding of project development, financing and/or M&A transactions desirable
· A minimum of degree level education and post-graduate legal qualification
· Qualified to practice in the United Kingdom as a solicitor, advocate or barrister
· A minimum of six years’ post qualification experience with corporate legal department or in private practice.
· Occasional, including UK and overseas
To apply, please fill in the application form here.